Vicks VapoSteam Inhaler
- Steam inhalation therapy that gently soothes and comforts
- Convenient, portable - use anywhere
- Simply fill with hot tap water
- Free aroma sachets for an extra freshness blast
- Hygienic, dishwasher safe - reusable
Vicks VapoSteam Inhaler with a blast of Vicks Vapours provides soothing comfort and a refreshing scent. Simply fill with hot water and add one capful of Vicks VapoSteam Inhalant or Vicks VapoPads (five scent pads included).
How it works
The unique design mixes the soothing scent with the warm vapours to help provide comfort from coughs and colds. The cone shaped design funnels vapours. The soothing vapours penetrate the nasal, sinus and throat passages quickly providing relief.
History of Steam Therapy
Steam therapy, or steam inhalation, is the method of introducing warm moist air into the lungs via the nose and throat for therapeutic benefit. But we are far from the first culture to have thought of it.
Ancient Egyptians built ‘bath houses’ for this very purpose - two story buildings which appeared to have fulfilled the role of public bath, beauty parlour and hospital all in one (almost every disease in Egypt was treated with the help of water, literally considered the ‘river of life’). Archaeologists have since discovered evidence of “steam rooms”: cabins filled with steam and aromatic herbs to help treat various ailments. In one of the most ancient Egyptian papyri, called Initial book of transformation of the old and the young the author ranks steam baths as a top means of rejuvenation, health improvement and “to get rid of unpleasant signs of old age”.
How does steam therapy stack up against modern science?
Although only a handful of trials have been undertaken to date they’ve mostly shown positive results. One well-designed clinical trial of 62 patients concluded steam inhalation resulted in alleviation of cold symptoms and improved nasal patency (how open the nasal passages are) compared to the placebo-treated group. The ancient Egyptians - not to mention centuries of grandmas everywhere - would also likely agree.
- Rinse out unit thoroughly before first use.
- Remove top of unit from base by twisting in opposite directions and lifting off top.
- Fill bottom half to the indicated water line using hot (not boiling) tap water. NOTE: if you overfill, the unit will leak.
- Open Vicks VapoPads (included) and add to the water or add 1 capful of Vicks VapoSteam to the water. Replace the top and inhale steam.
- Breathe in the soothing Vicks vapours.
- Can be used as often as required
Always read the label, use only as directed. If symptoms persist see your doctor. Not for children under 2 years of age.